SR20 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I stopped at my friends house earlier, and pulled up to her garages(he driveway on a hill). I went inside and we hung for a while and watched TV. After about 20 minutes my 2 freinds look out the window and see some big fat guy walking towards the house from the road. They were like WTF. They took a closer look towarss the road, and get this.....My car was in the middle of the road!!!!!! She goes OMG, I look outside to see my car blocking both lanes of traffic! This is a pretty busy road with cars goin about 55 even though the speed limit is 30. Evidentally, my e-brake didnt hold on the hill, and just eventually, slowly rolled down the driveway into the road. I quick ran outside to move my car. I felt like such an idiot. As i got in my car I looked both ways and i saw a string of cars in either direction about 20 cars each way, that i was holding up! I wasnt mad, but just thought it was wierd. I was actually laughin with everybody else(my friends and all the poeple in the cars i was holding up)I guess i just never payed much attention to my e-brake cuz my driveway is flat. Anybody know how to adjust that off the top of their head?!

------------------
Ryan Walsh, 1997 200sx SE-R w/ ES mounts, JWT s4's, AEBS 4-1, PR CAI, Sportlines/AGX's, Bridgestone re730's, Matrix FSTB, Stillen GTR grill

·
Registered
756 Posts
LOL.. I can just picture your car blocking traffic. It's best to pull the ebrake and leave the car in first gear.

[This message has been edited by WhiteSER (edited 04-24-2001).]

R

·
0 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Evidentally, my e-brake didnt hold on the hill</font>
I almost never use the ebrake. The only time I use it is when I'm on a big hill.

Otherwise I just put the car in gear. If your front is facing downhill then you put it in R if your front is facing up hill then 1st. Of course then there is the turn the wheels towards the curb trick.

The e-brake should only be a backup. Plus you should get out of that habit. When you get on a track you won't want to put your e-brake on after a session on the track because you stand the potential of screwing your rotors up by having *HOT* pads on the rotor cooling!! *BAD*

I'm surprised you past your drivers test.

RK

G

·
0 Posts
Yeah, but we are talking about day to day driving here, not track driving. There is no way under normal driving conditions that your rear pads are going to get THAT hot. Especially the REAR brakes which don't do nearly as much work as the front brakes.

The handbrake probably slipped as the warm pads and disks would have contracted ever-so-slightly when they cooled, effectively the same as if you had not put the handbrake on as tight.

It is always wise to leave your car in gear in addition to applying the handbrake whenever you are parked, to prevent just this happening. I've seen two other cars roll away with the handbrake on and collide with solid objects, causing alot of damage, hence I always leave my car in gear now.

·
pwnd
3,455 Posts
Ok time to cut though the bullshit. Check the cable adjustment. To do that jack up the rear of the car and pull the ebrake. I think spec is 5-7 clicks for full engagement. And spin the tires. If they spin tighten the cable. Also your rear pads may be ready to be replaced.

As for using or not using the ebrake...you are stupid if you dont. Thats what its there for. To hold the car so you dont depend on the transmittion to hold it. The tranny wasnt designed to hold the car while stoped on a hill or even a flat surface. Hell I even put mine on all the time in the automatic. Yes putting the ebrake on after a hot lap or heaving breaking will end up warping your rotors but you should be doing a few cool down laps anyway. But when you are sitting in the pits letting the car cool off the ebrake probaly wont matter since its probaly pretty flat, and idealy you should be in the car, i hate seeing people let the car idle in the pits with it out of gear and no ebrake and them walking around talking thats irresponsable.

------------------
Thats my opinion and I could be wrong

93 classic
Aztec Red, Automatic, POP, STB, OEC battery tie down, AD22VF's, Pirelli P4000's

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by RaySeNXSE-R:
[BI'm surprised you past your drivers test.

[/B]</font>
Joe Momma! I took it with the driver ed teach, and he liked me

------------------
Ryan Walsh, 1997 200sx SE-R w/ ES mounts, JWT s4's, AEBS 4-1, PR CAI, Sportlines/AGX's, Bridgestone re730's, Matrix FSTB, Stillen GTR grill

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
sss
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Bowlcut:
Ok time to cut though the bullshit. Check the cable adjustment. To do that jack up the rear of the car and pull the ebrake. I think spec is 5-7 clicks for full engagement. And spin the tires. If they spin tighten the cable. Also your rear pads may be ready to be replaced. </font>
k, ill have to try that when i get off my lazy ass
...but i can tell you that i dont need new pads. I am hard on my brakes, but geez, i just put new stockers on at the convention

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
As for using or not using the ebrake...you are stupid if you dont. Thats what its there for. To hold the car so you dont depend on the transmittion to hold it. The tranny wasnt designed to hold the car while stoped on a hill or even a flat surface. Hell I even put mine on all the time in the automatic. Yes putting the ebrake on after a hot lap or heaving breaking will end up warping your rotors but you should be doing a few cool down laps anyway. But when you are sitting in the pits letting the car cool off the ebrake probaly wont matter since its probaly pretty flat, and idealy you should be in the car, i hate seeing people let the car idle in the pits with it out of gear and no ebrake and them walking around talking thats irresponsable.

</font>
Yeah, that does sound pretty dumb. Id never leave my car runnign in neutral with no ebrake, thats just dumb. As for leaving the car in gear, im gettin a remote starter as ray mentioned, and with that you have ot leave the car in neutral, so thats why i always just use the ebrake. That and i dont like the idea of the tranny keeping the car from moving either. PLus dumb me will prolly forget its in gear when i go to start the car so when i let off the clutch the car will jump.

------------------

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by kieranlavin:
[BAs for your theory of practicing not using the gear because you'll be getting a remote start Ryan... I agree with Ray:

<b><i>PUSSY!</i></b>[/B]</font>
Try it like this you UBB illiterate geek:

PUSSY!

------------------

·
JordanWhiteMusic.com
4,699 Posts
Hey Bowlcut, why don't you calm down man. In alot of your latests posts you've been really hostile. In the general forum I posted pics of my new wheels and you go "nice stock neon rims".....I don't know whats pissing you off so much....but try not to take it out on other people.

------------------
Jordan White (Stormy)
'98 SE(R) w/ goodies
15.1 @ 90mph at Englishtown, NJ

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by MarC:
what are you talking about his looks just like yours

</font>
You over-editing too much frre-time geek!!!

------------------

G

·
0 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Ang!:
Yeah, but we are talking about day to day driving here, not track driving. There is
<snip>
The handbrake probably slipped as the warm pads and disks would have contracted ever-so-slightly when they cooled, effectively the
<snip>
It is always wise to leave your car in gear in addition to applying the handbrake

</font>
First you say that we're talking about daily driving... correct. But then you go on to say that the pads/rotor slipped because it was warm. I have to call you on that one... unless you've got some outrageous MC (which I know Ryan doesn't) feel your rear rotors after driving... even spirited driving. They don't get hot. Not *EVEN* on the track do they get hot enough where that'd be a possibility.

But I *DO* agree to use the ebrake as well as putting the car in gear. As for your theory of practicing not using the gear because you'll be getting a remote start Ryan... I agree with Ray:

PUSSY!

[This message has been edited by MarC (edited 04-24-2001).]

1 - 14 of 14 Posts