SR20 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You'll need the grille from a 98 200SX. I have a 98 200SX SE and when I installed the Nis-Knacks projectors on my car, my stock grille was sticking out. If I can find the old pics of my car, I can post them if you like. Since then, I've replaced my stock grille with an Erebuni one. So I think if you buy the 98 200SX headlights, the headlights might stick out a little unless you get the grille also.

Also to avoid confusion, see if I got this info right:
98 200SX = 99 Sentra (headlights and front bumper)
97 200SX = 98 Sentra (headlights and front bumper)

------------------
Slow 1.6
http://members.tripod.com/yankitman

·
Air filter cleaner masta
4,218 Posts
I am going to stand out on this one, but personally why would you want to do something like that??? are you looking for the newer look so when you sell it you can get more money? I am not to sure about that look, I am not a big fan, just expressin my opinion. Dont get mad, I am not a big fan of the 98 compared to the 95-97 front end. Bubble tailights always questioned my judgement on nissan that year. What were they thinking.

Mark
97 SR20 SE-R (pacific sun blue) just expressin my opinion!!!

·
Registered
56 Posts
yeah.....it's the different lights i like better. i'm not a big fan of the 95-97 grill, but i don't really like the 98 200sx grill, either. i saw a 98 sentra grill, which is different from 98 200. it has a body color surround, w/ like a black mesh in the middle with a nissan emblem in the center. i just liked the look of it. not to make people think i have a newer car than i do. i just like the look.
later
derek
oh yeah...i don't like those bubble tail lights, either.

·
Registered
56 Posts
i thought it would look better than the stock 97s. what about the rest of the front end? would i like have to replace the fenders, hood, etc? i was thinking about a grill from (i think) a 98 sentra. it's got like black egg crate stuff and no horizontal bars like the 97 grill. how would that fit w/ a set of 98 lights? just wondering.
thanks
derek

·
Air filter cleaner masta
4,218 Posts
I am sorry about that. I thought you wanted to put a 98 200sx grill on your car with the headlights. That is why I didnt understand. I was thinking about putting a 98 sentra grill on my car also. The aincent 5 slotted grill needs a little bit of something new. If you get one on your car, get some pictures I would like to see what it looks like. I rememeber what jay's looked like, but I was wondering what one looked like with it painted the same color as the car. Thanks again and sorry about the mix up, didnt mean to offend anyone.

Mark Merliss
97 SR20 SE-R( pacific sun blue)

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
I also want a 98 grille.

------------------
Peter M.
AIM=NyceP26
97 200SX SER....now with HS Gen 4 Headers

G

·
I have a 98 Sentra SE and did this conversion a week ago. I hated the old type headlight with it's knurled lens and wanted to get the crystal clears. I would suggest this to anyone wanting to upgrade without paying the $$$ for projectors. The newer lights can be found off a 99 Sentra or 98 200sx, along with the newer grill which will be necessary unless you want a "strange" look in front. I got the lights and grill from a SE-R list member for $75 that went the projector route.
The headlights and grill bolted right up to my car with no mods whatsoever, perfect fit. It is a pain in the ass to get a wrench to the rear mounting nuts though.
Note that the newer assemblies use 9007 bulbs not the 9004. The 9007 draws 55W/65W opposed to the 45W/65W of the 9004. I like the beam pattern of the 9007 so much better. Not sure if it's just the added wattage, crystal lens reflector design, or combination.
You will have to swap some wires around to make this work. The sockets look the same but trust me, they are wired differently. I used a method provided by <martin_g34> that allowed me to convert without cutting any factory wiring. If anyone is interested let me know and I will post it.
I am very happy with the looks of the mod and can see better at night to boot!

Rich
98 Sentra SE w/ not enough stuff and limited $$$
[email protected]

·
Registered
56 Posts
what do mean by "strange looking" if i put the 98 200sx headlights on my 97. do they like stick out more? i was really wanting the 98 headlights w/ a 98 sentra grill. would that look bad?
derek

G

·
Yeah, the 98 200sx/99 Sentra headlight housings stick out more than the old ones. I wish I had a digital camera so I could show you, sorry. They also have "notches" cut out on the bottom corner of the lights that face the grill. This is why you need the corresponding grill since it sticks out and contours with these "notches".

I had the newer headlights on for a few days with the old honeycomb grill while I painted the new grill. It did not look right. The inside edges of the lights stuck out an inch past the old grill. The worst part is the cut out notches though. You end up with two holes between the lights and grill. Who knows, maybe you might like the look. You could maybe put some micro driving lights in the holes.

I'd definately go through with it, the increased lighting ouput and look of headlights is worth it.

Rich

1 - 13 of 13 Posts