SR20 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a chance to purchase a rebuilt t3 turbo taken from a mustang svo. Will this provide a good overall boost on a '92 SE-R?
How about a turbo pulled from a Starion? Thanks for the replies.

------------------
Happiness is not around the corner, it is the corner!

G

·
With a little fabrication I don't see why it wouldn't work. Back when I had my XR4Ti I was seeing the Ford guys selling them really cheap. With a rebuild you would have a pretty good turbo.

·
El Chingon
892 Posts
And that's the key word: Fabrication
It will not just be a plug and play thing because if norurb is planning on running the DET manifold, it has a T25 flange. Now, I'm not sure how norurb is at fabrication, but if he's not very good and doesn't have access to some of the things required for fabrication, this project can become more expensive than just bolting on a pre-made turbo kit like F-Max or HotShot. But yet, of course it can fit, you can make anything fit
But, it seems that norurb is not trying to take the expensive route in the turbo process, so this probably wouldn't be for him. I would suggest you go over to the classifieds on SE-R.net and take a look at the turbo stuff they have for sale over there. In fact, I beleive they have an almost complete turbo set up consisting of a T28 and a GTi-R manifold for sale over there for like $2100. That's a pretty good deal!

------------------
David
'98 Super Black SE w/stuff

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies. I am not concerned with fabrication, I know a local shop that can do that stuff. I guess I just wonder what overall effect a stock svo t3 will have on my stock sr20de.

·
El Chingon
892 Posts
Like I said, what are the specs on the turbo? The HotShot kit is also running a T3 so I don't see why it would be a problem. But, you should definitely be worried about the fabrication part (unless that local shop is like HS or F-Max
). A crappy manifold will make a crappy turbo kit. Then you have to worry about it cracking and all this other **** if they just do a half ass job. As far as manifold fabrication, you might want to go more in depth with that with our very own turbo man, Rob Cadle. There are also many other variables that come into play such as fuel. What size injectors you plan to run and what boost levels are you aiming for. Break it all down for us here
I mean sure, we can slap that puppy on and it'll work, but too many things can go wrong if it's not done correctly.

------------------
David

·
Registered
448 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by norurb:
I have a chance to purchase a rebuilt t3 turbo taken from a mustang svo. Will this provide a good overall boost on a '92 SE-R?
How about a turbo pulled from a Starion? Thanks for the replies.

</font>
The SVO T3 came with an .82 exhaust housing. Very similar to what I am running. (T3/T4 Hybrid) It should make decent numbers.

·
El Chingon
892 Posts
Your right
Got a bit over excited there
Yea, it will probably provide pretty decent boost, but it is very dependant on the turbo specs.

------------------
David

[This message has been edited by nsracer (edited 03-14-2001).]

1 - 9 of 9 Posts