SR20 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Winter is coming fast in the northeast and I got the NX2000 upgrade this summer and my stock 92 Sentra SE-R wheels will not fit. Any suggestions on a cheap solution? I have 5mm H&R spacers laying around.

Thanks
ERic

·
Registered
122 Posts
Eric92SE-R wrote:
...I got the NX2000 upgrade this summer and my stock 92 Sentra SE-R wheels will not fit.
The spacers should work to clear the calipers Eric. That's a better alternative to grinding the outside of the caliper.

·
pwnd
3,455 Posts
What? Id like to know why you think that. I havent had one problem from grinding. This tip to grind them come from the upper eschelon of se-r owners. It takes metal off an area that doesnt affect their structural integerty. Personaly I think spacers are a bad idea. They can add a whole lot of "wobble" to the wheel if they arent balanced, hub centric, and installed correctly. Not to mention the extra stress they do add to your studs. Since the wheel is sitting further out on the stud instead of tight against the hub. The studs turn into levers and could easily break off.

One option is to buy another set of rims. Or get a set of NX wheels. But I ground mine 2 years ago, and havent looked back. Still need to paint them since they are getting rusty but thats another issue.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think I will try it with the Spacers. They are very high quality magnesium and aluminum alloy hubcentric spacers. I had got them to use on the rear wheels to help my rims clear the strut but a mechanic said that it won't hit so I took them off. They came with extended lug bolts which I installed in the rear hubs. I was hesitant to put the spacers on the front because I am unsure about how much thread will be left on the stock lug bolts. How hard is it to install the extended lug bolts in the front?

Thanks,
Eric

·
Registered
122 Posts
Bowlcut exclaimed:
What? Id like to know why you think that. I havent had one problem from grinding.
Neither have I - and I'm one of those 'upper eschelons of se-r owners', having been one of the first to originally grind the calipers (at Nissan Motorsport's recommendation, BTW).

However, using spacers is about half a day easier, faster, and quicker than grinding the calipers and is certainly a lot less expensive than having to completely re-wheel the car.

As far as installing extended bolts, you really only need about 1.5mm of clearance on the wheel, so I don't think extended bolts are necessary for the stock lug nuts.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks a lot guys, I think I will change them over tomorrow, it is supposed to get into the 40's pretty soon.

Eric

·
pwnd
3,455 Posts
After doing the calipers i could do them a lot quicker, and probaly explain it to the point where someone could understand it also. I had Jizz explaining it to me, and it took forever. I bet with a good stone and bench grinder it wouldnt take maybe 2 hours or so. I had to fit mine about 5 times, then in between each fit drive 20 mins to the shop to grind them cause the stone on the drill crapped out. I would not ever run spacers....person opinion. Already there is little thread showing over the nut....

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That is what I was wondering about the bolt not being long enough. That is why H&R sent longer bolts with the spacers. I just need to know if the original bolts are too short, how would I replace them. Is it harder than installing them in the rear hubs? That only took a couple hours. Let me know

Thanks
Eric

·
merely a flesh wound
15,274 Posts
Bowlcut said:
After doing the calipers i could do them a lot quicker, and probaly explain it to the point where someone could understand it also. I had Jizz explaining it to me, and it took forever. I bet with a good stone and bench grinder it wouldnt take maybe 2 hours or so. I had to fit mine about 5 times, then in between each fit drive 20 mins to the shop to grind them cause the stone on the drill crapped out.
Did you take the calipers off to grind them? Too much work! I ground mine down with a wimpy little Dremel on the car, and it only took about an hour. My neighbor, who has my old '91 has real man tools, and used his grinder. I don't know how long it took him, but I'm sure it was underan hour.

Chris

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Does anyone have a before and after picture? I have acces to a real handheld stone grinder. I am considering doing this becuase you guys are promoting it so heavily.

Eric

·
merely a flesh wound
15,274 Posts
Eric92SE-R said:
Does anyone have a before and after picture? I have acces to a real handheld stone grinder. I am considering doing this becuase you guys are promoting it so heavily.

Eric
Look, there's nothing to it. Just put the 14" wheel on, and you'll see where it's contacting the caliper, then start grinding. Don't worry about going to far, there's lots of meat on the side you're grinding, and the piston & brake fluid are on the other side of the caliper. Take your time, and every so often put the wheel back on to test the fit.

When it got down to the end, I grabbed a felt tipped pen that happened to be close at hand, and marked up the caliper with it. Then I put the wheel on and rotated it by hand and ground down the spots where the marker rubbed off.

Easy peasy.

Chris

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks, I will give it a shot on saturday. I will let you know how it goes and I will try to take pics.

Eric

·
pwnd
3,455 Posts
Dont know if I have a pic with just them or not. Dont think so. Its pretty simple. Its the side oppsite the piston. Its because the nx wheels have a different offset. Grind them about 1/4" or so on the side that is oppsite the piston. Thats about all that you have to do, I took a little off the "corner".

Yes i took them off because the stone i bought for the drill was crap. it didnt work and it went out of round somehow and was horrible. If someone just bought them I would grind them first before I put them on and touch them up with like a dremil. If anyone will like i can scan in the pic off the fsm and highlight what to grind.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I ground them down today with no problems. I even painted them. It only took two hours and I didn't even hurt myself.
Will try to have sequence of pics up soon.
Thank you for your help everybody, it is a lot better than spacers.
Anyone want to buy a pair of 5mm H&R Spacers with lugbolts to match:D .

Thanks,
Eric

·
wants to go play
2,230 Posts
From 2001??

1 - 17 of 17 Posts