SR20 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished rebuilding my tranny's 5th gear. While doing that, I did the following additional things:
-resurfaced my flywheel
-new throwout bearing
-new ACT clutch and pressure plate
-ES Motor Mount Inserts
-Redline MT90 fluid

It has been 370 miles since the rebuild, and I'm still gently breaking in the clutch. This morning, my wife took the car and she complained that the car wouldn't go into gear when the clutch was fully depressed. She said it would only shift if the clutch was halfway.

Well, I just went to verify it. I pushed the clutch in and the car wouldn't go into reverse, or any other gear after that. The only way I was able to get it in gear was to grind the mofo and slam it in :(

Has anybody else gone through this? Any suggestions? I'll be scouring the FSM's troubleshooting guide :(

·
I lika da turns
710 Posts
Sounds like a clutch cable slipped or isn't in proper adjustment.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
FYI: I have absolutely no power mods, just suspension mods.

I had my wife push the clutch in half-way, all the way, and then releasing it. The clutch arm (the gold lever on the tranny) had normal range of motion. The clutch feels good, and the cable has very little slack. It makes me think all my syncros, gears, and sleeves are not the issue.

Since I can't shift into any gear w/o forcing it and grinding, I'm starting to think maybe its my shift linkage?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cannibal,
Thanks for the reply, but I'm pretty sure its not the clutch cable.

Just went back out and the car now will shift in all gears, with the clutch partially or fully depressed. When in gear, I can move the shifter left and right about 1-1.5" each way. I don't remember it always being like that.

Shift linkage issue maybe? Do I just need a new bushing? Back to research :(

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
YES SER,

When you looked at the bushing, was it blatantly apparent that it wsa the problem? Or did you just replace it and cross your fingers? Either way I'll be ordering an ES bushing today.

·
www.FAIRTAX.org
8,920 Posts
I've had that happen on both of my cars. On the NX it was a semi broken t/o bearing. The plastic collar on it cracked and pieces of it would get jammed up and not allow the clutch to fully disengage. On the SE-R I had one of the defective act xtreme pressure plates with a cracked diaphram that wouldn't allow the clutch to fully disengage.

·
Registered
619 Posts
I had a mechanic chekk it out they told me thats what it was... cause i chekked everything and i couldnt figure it out...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts