SR20 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I first start my car in the morning it starts fine and if I don't drive anywhere it will continue to idle. But as soon as I start to go anywhere if the temp needle hasn't started to move up yet it will die!
I've got new plugs, wires, pcv, always run 92 octane. Any ideas on what it could be?

After it's warm it idles fine not rough nice and smooth, it accelerates fine. Checked the timing and it's set at 15 degrees.

------------------
Art R.
1992 Sentra SE-R
SCCA Solo II Driver
Cal Club #823 E Stock

·
Registered
113 Posts
Did all of this start when you did the plugs and wires? or later?

·
Seeing red
2,084 Posts
One trick on the '91-'92 cars is to disconnect the tube going between the EGR and BPT valves (the bronze "pucks" close to the firewall). After cleaning the throttle body, replacing the distributor cap and rotor, and other tune-up items, disconnecting the EGR tube did the most for my car's rough idle.

I just plugged the tip of the EGR with a rubber cap, but that might not be all right in the Emissions Bear State. I don't know how easy it would be to clean a clogged EGR.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by norurb:
Did all of this start when you did the plugs and wires? or later?</font>
Maybe? But it seems that before I did the tune up it did idle OK. I used 7mm borg warner wires and the stock recommended NGK spark plugs and used the cap and rotor that pep boys gave me.

Should I have gone to the Nissan dealer and got factory parts?

·
Registered
222 Posts
Well, that same sort of thing used to happen to my old Mazda. I took it to a shop and they said I was either loosing compression somewhere, or had a serious vacume leak, as in possibly a hairline crack in cylinder or block. Once the engine heated up, the metal expanded and the crack closed up. It still didnt run perfect, but it idled. I never found out for sure what the problem was because I got rid of it right after that (and got my SE-R). Now, I dont mean to scare ya or anything, but something to think about.

-jason

·
Registered
113 Posts
So that's why my Mazda acts like that! haha, just kidding. As for that idle problem Trys_Hard, you might want to switch out those components one at a time to see what happens. JimR has a good point with the EGR, also check to see if the dist cap and rotor are in decent condition.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts