SR20 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to get a few of your opinions on whether I should buy lowering springs for my nx when I put new struts on in a few weeks. The struts will be simple stock replacements, possibly gr2's. Right now my main drive to work is 45 minutes on a pot hole covered road, you can go more than 3 or 4 seconds without hitting something uneven. With struts that are beat and original springs there isn't much travel left and you can feel or hear most of the bumps. If I lower my car with springs on new struts will I have the same crappy ride or will I be able to drive over pot holes/attempted repairs without feeling them much? The new springs aren't worth buying if the ride quality decreases. Any what about driving in the snow next winter?

·
Registered
135 Posts
I would go with a cheap set of lowering springs. Also if you are going with stock replacements, I have a set with less than three months on them. Thay are napa struts, low miles. I'll sell them to you for $50 if you pay shipping. PM me

·
Professor Dingbat
5,543 Posts
No way. Lowering springs will definitely affect your ride quality for the worse. Especially with stockish struts, you will be bouncing all over the place. If you are going to upgrade one thing in your suspension, let it be the struts. ie it would be better to buy upgraded struts and have stock springs than to have stock struts and lowering springs. From a handling AND ride quality perspective.

The only advantage lowering springs with stock struts offers is the "dumped" look that comes at the expense of ride quality. Given your listed driving conditions, you will be sorry within a matter of days if you get the springs.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I agree with fast NX. I first put coilovers on my car... stock struts. It sucked big time. Then I put some AGXs on there, much much better. I am waiting for it warm up a little and I will get Hypercos (sitting in my basement) installed.

If you lower the car, you need better struts. bottom line.

·
Registered
812 Posts
yeah, if you are looking for a comfortable ride i wouldn't bother lowering with stock struts. I have my nx lowered on gr-2s, and it is pretty bumpy, gotta dodge those potholes :). But I dont mind it that much because I was driving on blown struts for quite awhile :redface:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts