SR20 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Boost Junkie...
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't figure out why my radiator fans won't come on.... WTF...please HELP....

·
vincit omnia veritas
1,085 Posts
bad sensor, bad wiring, bad fan, bad relay...

disconnect the sensor (coolant sensor) if the fans do not go on you have either (bad fan, bad wiring or bad relay) test the fan by connecting it to your battery for a short while and seeing if it works, if it does, good fan.. next, test the relay by either buying a new one or swapping it between someone elses car OR just taking a different relay(on my 91 sentra there were more than one of that type of relay) and put it in the fan position...
that does not work? damn! could be wiring or you could have fugged up on one of the tests....
someone chime in.. I have done this a few times and I think this about covers it all but I am sure there could be something that I have not covered....

if all else fails (or you are frustrated and give up...) find a aftermarket fan system.. or just the control.. which is basically a probe that senses the temp of the coolant.. you can get different ranges (some kick in at 180..185..190..etc) and then there is the wiring and a relay... and just wire it up and put the sensor near the stock one.

good luck

P

·
0 Posts
is your car actually overheating? they sometimes wont come on during a trip, as there is simply no need for them to, the engine hasnt got to the temp where it is neseccery for the fans to cut in and bring the temp down.
chris

·
Registered
122 Posts
Blue93G20 worried
I can't figure out why my radiator fans won't come on....
There's a little thermostat connector by or under (can't remember for sure) the ignition coil - it's horizontal, anyway - that can get disconnected or otherwise have the electrical circuit interrupted (like if you recently washed the engine bay). This will cause the problem you describe if all else tests OK.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts