SR20 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
yup, here's another story of getting a muffler ticket, and it being a stupid reason.

Sooo eheemm. On the way to school, there's some traffic. coming up on a stop light with cars already at it. Im in the right lane (there's two lanes) and the lane is shorter. So I slowly pass a trooper who is in the left lane. ( Clutch pushed in no rpms, just brakes) So in my mind, i think, ok well there is a cop there, don't drive stupid. So ok green light, shifting at 2500 every gear. Cop starts going and his lane is going faster. Cop gets his front bumper to my driver door, and backs off the gas. I'm like ok, he's gunna turn or just Fing with me. Nope , he breaks the traffic that is behind me, gets behind me and what do you know, there shows the blue. I am thinking, WTF, I wasn't doing anything, maybe a tail was out, or maybe he wanted my sunglasses. Pull into burger king parking lot. "Can I have your license reg. and insur." I get a look at him, he looks younger than most kids at the High School. and right then I knew that this rookie was gunna stiff me for some dumbazz reason. I had just paid a ticket for my muffler in January. So I told him, he goes, let me see the ticket. Give it to him. Blah blah blah, end of the story I got another ticket. I was like, is it a decible problem? (because i was not hitting red line or anything) He goes, "No the statue says that any muffler that is installed to be intended to be louder than the stock one is an infraction." I was like *sigh* I was thinking about saying, "Don't you guys pull over those damn window tinters any more?" But of course I didn't.
Remember when everyone got tickets for their tint. WEllllll soooo i need to find a muffler that looks like stock. Geeeeze man, always happens when I am about to buy something I have been saving up for. anyways....
<---------- So pisssed :mad: :( :mad: :mad: :mad:

Shoot, I should have taken a picture of him to post up. Damn rook.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
sons of bitches. that pisses me off. i dunno what muffler you have, but my buddy delievers pizza in a 240sx with no exhaust from the cat back. hes never gotten pulled over.

·
Still not my president
5,173 Posts
i dont have a muffler and i havent gotten pulled yet, knock on wood i hope i never get pulled too.

·
The Serbaninator
3,241 Posts
damn a trooper did that in Merritt Island?

the cops used to be super anal in Satellite Beach, but my crap was loud as hell when I had the header on and cops never gave me trouble.....that sucks man.

·
SR20GE P11
433 Posts
Yeah, I can relate. You got pulled over for looking or sounding like you were going fast. Try installing a long 4 X 9 oval performance muffler. They look stock and are less visable. The problem still with cops is they constantly try pulling people over because they can hear your exhaust particularly when driving on open highway. I had a cop follow me and my wife for like half a mile about 3am in the morning. He had nothing. He just got behind us to see if we would do over 65 why? cause he could here the exhaust. He finally pulled us over, with no reason. He implied that he was alerted by another officer that we were speeding. I simply explained to him that I was aware of him tailing us for almost half a mile with no roof lights or siren. If we were speeding why follow me for half a mile. He let us go.(jerks)

·
Premium Member
11,741 Posts
Well, he obviously didnt get pulled over because his car was loud, he just cruised past the cop. I guess he didnt like your muffler

·
SR20VE or a T28? I dunno!
1,664 Posts
I bet if you were in a Mustang with Flowmasters he would have given you the thumbs up :D

·
SR20GE P11
433 Posts
Fast91SER said:
Well, he obviously didnt get pulled over because his car was loud, he just cruised past the cop. I guess he didnt like your muffler

Oh they hear you. Aftermarket exhaust are not always loud but they have a drone that is easily detectable to a cop in wait. A cop and anyone else parked on the side of a highway can hear Burrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, This does not give an officer the right to pull anyone over, But they do and once this is done your car is inspected from that point on. Hence my point of view. "You sound like you were going fast" which is BS.

·
Registered
43 Posts
dang guys sorry to hear all that I dont know where you guys are but in the suburbs of Tampa the cops dont give a flying crap cause there are ricers all over the place with loud a** shitty tips and crap that anyone can tell isn't stock and they just cruise on by like nothing ever happened. I feel for ya though man.

·
Banned
2,587 Posts
Phantom said:
dang guys sorry to hear all that I dont know where you guys are but in the suburbs of Tampa the cops dont give a flying crap cause there are ricers all over the place with loud a** shitty tips and crap that anyone can tell isn't stock and they just cruise on by like nothing ever happened. I feel for ya though man.

Uhh, is your muffler really loud r something? FL statue says it cant be louder than stock/or somewhere areound 100dB or so I believe, I'll have to look it up. Anyways, just sand your muffler with some 400 grit sandpaper, and paint it with the BBQ grill black, then you will be ok. BTW, why did you willingly tell the cop you already got aticket? Did he test your exhaust with a dB meter? If not, I would take it to court and tell them that he didnt, they will ahve to drop ther charge, or test your car, so maybe get a bullet muffler installed inbetween if it is really loud. Good luck.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I Got Pulled Over On I-4 One Day On My Way To Work @ Around 12:30. If Anyone Is Familiar With The Orlando Area 1-4 Sucks Around This Time. Doing The Speed Limit I Have All Kinds Of Loud Domestics And Ricers Passing Me. Next Thing I Know I Have An Un-marked Green F150 Flashing It's Beautiful Blue And Reds. Damn Cock S$%^$r Wasn't Even A Trooper Or Highway Patrol Or Sheriff Or Opd, He Was Somekind Of Undercover. But Anyway While Sitting There Listening To The Guy Explain To Me Why He Pulled Me Over I Can Hear Ricers Passing By With Louder Exhausts Then Mine. The F$%^ing Guy Told Me While Handing Me The Ticket That I Can Either Pay The Ticket And Receive Points On My License (which Pissed Me Off Even More Cause It Is Not A Moving Violation) Or I Can Replace The Muffler And Have It Inspected After Replacing It To Have The Charge Dropped. Hmmmmmm, $45 Fine Or $250 To Have A New Muffler Installed And Inspected To Have The Ticket Waived, You Make The Call. My Exhaust Isn't Even Loud, Have Presilncer Installed And The Exhaust Note On My Car Is That Of A Deep Hummm Sort Of Like The Stromung Set Up. What Made This Even More Insane To Me Was That I Had My Silencer Installed On My Muffler.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
djmayhem said:
Uhh, is your muffler really loud r something? FL statue says it cant be louder than stock/or somewhere areound 100dB or so I believe, I'll have to look it up. Anyways, just sand your muffler with some 400 grit sandpaper, and paint it with the BBQ grill black, then you will be ok. BTW, why did you willingly tell the cop you already got aticket? Did he test your exhaust with a dB meter? If not, I would take it to court and tell them that he didnt, they will ahve to drop ther charge, or test your car, so maybe get a bullet muffler installed inbetween if it is really loud. Good luck.
No, under the new florida statue...... If any modification is done to your stock muffler with intentions of it being louder, is against the law..(got of sister-in-law who's a cop) See, there is alot of gray area in this statue which is why its pissing me off. My brother and I were talking about it. If it is a sound issue, then common sense would say "what about harley's?" even though they are ok. I mean, in florida Im sure there is a way that we all could ban together and raise hell for this annoying thing that cops do. Seriously wtf mate? Rediculous law that isn't very clear in writing. I mean the way it is written, It should be if i went down to Discount auto parts and screwed on a tip on the muffler, I would be violating the law. I guess this is kind of like how people can sell fireworks, but it is illegal to use them. GHEAAAYYYY

·
Banned
2,587 Posts
NXFuer said:
No, under the new florida statue...... If any modification is done to your stock muffler with intentions of it being louder, is against the law..(got of sister-in-law who's a cop) See, there is alot of gray area in this statue which is why its pissing me off. My brother and I were talking about it. If it is a sound issue, then common sense would say "what about harley's?" even though they are ok. I mean, in florida Im sure there is a way that we all could ban together and raise hell for this annoying thing that cops do. Seriously wtf mate? Rediculous law that isn't very clear in writing. I mean the way it is written, It should be if i went down to Discount auto parts and screwed on a tip on the muffler, I would be violating the law. I guess this is kind of like how people can sell fireworks, but it is illegal to use them. GHEAAAYYYY

Yeah, if i get time i will look up all the statues online and link you to them. i would take it to court anyways and fight it. worst that can happen is you have to pay the ticket plus liek $15 for court fees.

·
love the Florida sun!!
1,906 Posts
Wow i can't believe they are that ****ing anal in Florida....here in Chicago they dont give a rats ass about what you do to your car....only thing they check here is emissions.....no one cares about being loud...........

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
I dont get it. I know a lot of cops due to police ride alongs ( school related haha ) and they could care less if your cars loud. just as long as your not speeding and killing people that is. If i get pulled over in my nx for the crappy exhaust, im going to drop names at the police station and say im going out with the sherifs daughter ( who i can call on my cell and vouce for me) TAKE THAT POLICE! lol

1 - 17 of 17 Posts