SR20 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Geez! Talk about your "parts specific applications!!!" I was driving home from work last night, when I heard a really faint whirring noise eminating from my engine compartment. I opened the hood and listened, and I could hear the noise on the left(passenger) side of the motor. Throughly confused, I dropped the car off at my mechanics this A.M. to have it checked. He calls me back and says.."You aren't going to believe what broke...Your Air Conditioning compressor!" I'm like, "Yeah so what? My a/c isn't functioning anyway(ran out of R12), can't I just cut off the belt?" Unfortunately, it turns out that the belt is also attached to the alternator, which precludes any removal of the belt. Also, it turns out that the compressor in question was only made for a 1993 SE-R...There ARE no other applications! It's model specific to that car and that year ONLY!!! Needless to say, after calling every boneyard within 100 miles to see who had the part(and having like 10 or so dealers telling me "Good luck finding that part, Buddy!"), I finally found a used part dealer in Maine that had the part used for 145$. To say I'm relieved is an understatement! Unfortunately, I have to wait three days for the part to arrive, which leaves me S.O.L

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Are you saying they didn't sell any '93 SE-R's without AC? I would imagine you could buy a different belt that would work as if the compressor never existed...

·
El Chingon
892 Posts
Yes, they did sell SE-Rs without AC. We've run Brad B's (SE-R List) car like this for a while (with a belt that eliminates the AC). You should look into that. The belt we got was like 10 bucks from the local auto parts store.

------------------
David
'98 Super Black SE w/stuff

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You know, that's what I figured, but according to two very reputable mechanics, that was trhe only available fix, as part of the compressor fits into the block. Personally, I dont know why the pulley couldn't have been removed or the compressor bearing taken out or something. I'm just surprised that there are parts out there that are THAT model and engine specific, in this day and age.....

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You know what else I was thinking? I'd like to do a R134 conversion-Too bad there isn't a way I could get a different system while I was at it(as far as replacing the R12 system). I'm assuming I can use the "factory" compressor for that, right?

·
Registered
466 Posts
Those mechanics are full of ****. My '91 came with A/C, but it broke when the previous(original) owner had it. It had a belt for a non A/C car. The compressor does bolt to the block, but it can be removed with ZERO problems. The bracket itself weighs 11lbs. The compressor is somewhere around 20lbs. The motor I put in 2 weeks ago had A/C, I took the compressor and the bracket off since it didn't work anymore.

------------------
Eric Waterman
1996 200SX SE-R
1997 200SX SE-R
1991 Sentra SE-R

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm sorry! I omitted one little detail....The reason I wanted to find this compressor is that I was going to do a R134 upgrade, something I need the compressor for. I know I could just slap on a belt, but I need a/c(ever try driving around in a suit during the summer w/o A/C?)-I had already made arrangements to have the conversion done at the end of March(I'm udsing part of my Severance package), because with the new work schedule I would have by april, I won't have time to do any of this later. I'm still shocked that they make car parts specific to just 1 model, and that's all....weird.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey NoVtec...I tried that suggestion you had(I need a car that I can drive without squealing
with the Non-A/C belt, and it didn't work...The F**Kin' A?C compressor is in the way! It blocks me from being able to connect the belt to the alternator(or is it the power steering pump)without rubbing. Oh well....I managed to track down a boneyard in Maine with a rebuilt Compressor for 150$, and I'm getting my mechanic to install that, and recharge my A/C system while he's at it-At least I'll have A/C for the summer, finally

·
Registered
466 Posts
That's strange. On a friend's '94, we had to us a non A/C belt since his compressor locked up. It was tight, but it fit.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, it is strange, because if I had a 91,92 or 94 SE-R, it would not be a problem, but for some reason, in 93 they moved the compressor even with the power steering pump, which precludes just throwing on a non-a/c belt without removing the compressor and all the a/c related parts. That sucks because I bought the belt for 9.95$-It would have been a cheap fix......

·
wants to go play
2,230 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Chris:
I'm just surprised that there are parts out there that are THAT model and engine specific, in this day and age.....</font>
Volvogot us good like that!! The 93 850 is WWWAAAAAYYYY different than all the others. After that first year they changed the suspension and a bunch of motor stuff.

Blair

·
wants to go play
2,230 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Chris:
I'm just surprised that there are parts out there that are THAT model and engine specific, in this day and age.....</font>
Volvogot us good like that!! The 93 850 is WWWAAAAAYYYY different than all the others. After that first year they changed the suspension and a bunch of motor stuff.

Blair

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, I tracked down an A/C compressor at a boneyard in Maine-At least I'll have a drivable car by Tuesday. My mechanic feels bad about the predicaments I've been in since I've bought this car, so he offered to do a 134a conversion for free with the compressor change and A/C recharge
) He should do something for free-I've been a loyal customer with him for over 10 years-I probably put his three kids through school with the repairs to my old IROC alone

·
AWD owns me
4,167 Posts
i have a 93 compressor

1 - 15 of 15 Posts