SR20 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
NX2K Junkie
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys/gals,
I took my car to the dealership today for a tune up and an oil change. I went in the back with the mechanic to talk to him while he worked on my car and when we took the spark plug wires off they just fell apart! I was like, "WTF!!! are they supposed to do that?" He told me that could be a problem . He asked me who installed the wires and I told him they were on there when I got the car. There were two problems with the wires. 1 they were to small. They are 7MM and nissan uses 9MM. 2 they fell the funk apart! So I think I found the main problem for my car being so damn slow. But anyways, I had to leave my car there because every local nissan, autoparts store, and mechanic in my area that them/I called didn't have my wires in stock! . So Im with out a car until monday when they can get the wires. I have been without it for 2 hrs and im already going nuts. So this just goes to show that you don't know what your getting into when you buy a used car.
My problems to date include:
- bad clutch
- rusted muffler coupler(muffler broke off)
- wrong size spark plug wires that fell apart.

These are all things I guess the previous owner didn't take care of. O'well

------------------
Greg Taylor
96 SE-R w/ stuff
My Page

·
pwnd
3,455 Posts
Yea they dont keep the plug wires in stock. I found that out last year looking for a set that I didnt buy. But yea the aftermarket wires usualy all suck. The stock Nissan wires are good for most all situations to like 250+ i think. Well the new wires will help your car run smoother. But atleast you found out while it was being worked on.....wait what the hell is it doing at the $tealer?
Get out and get dirty boy
. But watch out those wires are $$$$$ expensive.

·
NX2K Junkie
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its cheaper to get them to change the oil($20) and Im not sure how to gap the spark plugs. I do all other work myself except for serious engine stuff. I installed my AGXs and Sprints last night on my own. So I do get dirty!

G

·
0 Posts
How do you figure it is cheaper to have them change your oil? With the oli they use you could prolly do it for half that. I use Mobil 1 and it only comes out to about $20. And My dealer (Cherry Hill Nissan) does keep the wires in stock.

MarC

[This message has been edited by ser_200sx (edited 03-03-2001).]

·
pwnd
3,455 Posts
LOL 20 bucks, I change mine for 10. But again I use Catrol GTX and stock Nissan Filters. Hell if those filters werent almost 5 bucks it would be hella cheaper. Get you a short pan for like 10 bucks at Advanced and a cap wrench thats 5 bucks and you wont ever have to pay for it again. Admittly that cap wrench is a pain in the ass. It doesnt fit exactly, I put a rag over the filter then the cap.

G

·
0 Posts
I feel for you Bro!! I bought my SE-R last August because I was tired of putting $ into my "old" Probe GT(boy, is that a joke!). What a freakin' nightmare this car has turned out to be! Thank god I have some mechanical acumen, because here's what's been replaced so far(by either myself, or my mechanic):
1)Fuel filter
2)PCV Valve
3)Pass. side half shaft
4)spark plugs
5)spark plug wires
6)O2 sensor
7)two tires that blew out
8)all 4 brake pads and rotors
9)idle control solenoid(or whatever you call it)
10)stereo(stock one fried)
11)Door speakers and grills
12)lock tumbler on driver's side
13) a **** load of silicone sealant for a leaky moonroof and windshield
WHEW!!
And you think YOU got screwed!
BTW, this car was inspected by a mechanic before purchase(the half-shaft was replaced before I bought it), and all these things have been replaced/broke in the last two-three months. I didn't include the a/c compressor-My car has been dead for the last week w/o one, or the clutch(which is starting to slip)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts