SR20 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have run through my first bottle of nitrous with the zex kit and would like to give my review of this product for those of you considering the purchase. I bought mine for 475 shipped from [email protected] atlantic racing The install was VERY easy and took my mechanic and I only 90 minutes. I jetted the system at 55 initially to try everything out. I paid 47.50 to have the tank filled at speed shack in norwood mass. The only thing I can compare this to is vtec if any of you have driven hondas.
When you first start off slowly, the speed builds as normal until the switch is triggered and the juice starts spraying, instantly there is a cool sound and you just start moving faster than you can beleive. It is so very smooth you really don't "feel" like you are speeding up, but if you watch the speedo it is incredible!
Starting from a hard launch @4.5k there is nothing but wheelspin most of the way through first and 2nd spins for 10 feet or so, then it is just go-go-go! I jetted the 65 and it was definately more of the same. I then changed to 75 (limit for this kit) and as soon as I started, the juice ran out. I will have some 1/4 mile times for you guys next week. I am very impressed with this kit and am amazed at how easy and safe it is. My timing is stock as are the plugs. I ran 94 octane and had NO knocking what-so-ever. I would defiantely recommend this set-up---and my mechanic was also amazed at the install---it was ridiculously simple and mistake proof!

mark

·
Registered
765 Posts
awesome! I am thinking about picking up one of these kits. A guy I know has some connections and can get me one for 400 shipped. 47.50 sounds kinda expensive to fill the bottle. How many times did u get to use the nitrous before it was all gone? I dont want to be spending 50 bux every few days for some extra power. And knowing me, I will probably be using the happy juice quite a bit :)

·
former pulsar car whore
1,397 Posts
From my understanding, its about 3 minutes a bottle. So that'd be about 15 to 20 hits per bottle with the 10lb bottle. Once I step up to the 100 shot, I think i'll be buying a 20lb bottle. :)

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
3 minutes of constant use sounds about right on a 10# bottle. I only used it for street driving so far, so I can't comment on how many 1/4 mile runs--but the est. from the CT guy sounds right. As far as I know there is no rpm time limiter on the system--it hooks to the fuel pressure regualtor and adds more fuel when the system is on. Very nice unit

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
400 shipped? that is a pretty good deal----so that would mean your "hook-up" is selling it for 375 as it cost 25 to ship. That is really good since ZEX sells the kits to resellers for 425 a piece. I saw the price sheet on these from ZEX. That is a distributor licence selling $10k/annum

I call bullshit

·
Whisky Tango Foxtrot
863 Posts
massclassic said:
. As far as I know there is no rpm time limiter on the system--it hooks to the fuel pressure regualtor and adds more fuel when the system is on. Very nice unit
The problem I see with that is. If you are not watching your tach closely and run it into the fuel cut the fuel stops flowing and the nitrous keeps flowing and Kabooooomm.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
good point soupa---it does say in the instructions to switch gears before the redline if you car is equiped with a fuel cut

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
but on the same note...... I will use the 800 I saved from not buying the JWT Nos set up and have a new engine installed if I blow this one with the zex kit. $1500 for a 50 shot and ecu? give me a break

·
former pulsar car whore
1,397 Posts
mass classic, I am actually a semi Masshole these days. I go to school at Bentley in Waltham. Do you know David, Matt, and Adam? (the guys who put together the boston meet?)

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey 97 black. No, I missed out on the meet unfortunately. I had all the plans to go, but got screwed by my company. Towards the end of every quarter, we get very busy at EMC corp. and I was forced to work 12 hour shifts that weekend. I got a couple messages from matt, but felt like an asshole and didn't know what to say, to I didn't call him. The I just got laid off last week---ungrateful pricks! but anyways---I have all the time in the world now---so if anyone around mass wants to have one more meet before we all hibernate---I am game! I will even organize it as my house if that is easier. I have hosted a few honda/acura meets when I was into my integra.

mark

·
former pulsar car whore
1,397 Posts
Hey man,
no big deal. Matt's a dork, but he's a cool guy. ;) Hit me up on aim Stea1th727. I'm down to have one more meet.

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
We can probably do that. Not sure when, pick a time I'm pretty sure I am going to be away for the weekend of the 3rd. Who's free this weekend. heh, nothing like last minute plans.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Yep, 400 shipped. His brother works for fedex so he gets free shipping somewhow. I'm just going by what he told me. We'll have to see if he can actually pull it off tho..

I'd be scared to hook it up to my car though, because that rev limiter hits FAST since i put the '91 cam and header on.. Id probably end up blowing my motor :eek: :(

·
former pulsar car whore
1,397 Posts
I'm busy all day saturday. I have to volunteer somewhere in cambridge. (required to pass a class) Saturday night I'll be partying. I'm down to hang out on sunday.

·
Veritas
6,205 Posts
" Yep, 400 shipped. His brother works for fedex so he gets free shipping somewhow. I'm just going by what he told me. We'll have to see if he can actually pull it off tho..

I'd be scared to hook it up to my car though, because that rev limiter hits FAST since i put the '91 cam and header on.. Id probably end up blowing my motor"

Solution: Autometer Shift-Lite, set at 7,000rpm. No ka-boom. It has worked
well for me...

Just a suggestion :D

·
Registered
350 Posts
SERprise In WV said:
Solution: Autometer Shift-Lite, set at 7,000rpm. No ka-boom. It has worked
well for me...

Just a suggestion :D [/B]
I did the same thing, but also with a $3 piezo tweeter from Radio Shack. If you're light is out of sight, at least you could also hear your shift light BEEP.

BTW-with 75hp jet, nitrous press at 1000+psi, and in 1st gear at 4500+rpm, its very easy to spray, spin tires, and hit the rev limiter. NOT GOOD. Especially if your tires are still cold. I almost did this with 2 other people in the car with a 70hp jet. Almost caught the rev limiter and spun most of 2nd gear. Can you say "torque steer".

Hope you have fun with the nitrous. Once you get use to it, it gets even funner:D

·
Registered
858 Posts
no way!

Dude,there is no comparison to any vtec
vehicle when even the smallest 55 shot is used! No way does v tec feel like a 55 shot! Shame on you! V tec is no way near the power on an SR20 on NOS. Bull sh*t. I've driven and raced all vtec hondas and after high rpm's vtec kicks in but nothing like an sr20 on NOS! stick to your 55 shot and practice your runs cause aint no vtec gonna take you. then go with the 65 shot MAX!! no more needed trust me!. 75 is too much and pushing the injectors if you ask me or any of the NOS boys!(hear me now, believe me later!):eek:

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
oh yes, gotta love the ZEX!...

i ran it on my SOHC vtec civic...a 55 shot took my 1/4 mile times down nearly a whole second!...

i found myself launching at about 2k and switching the nitrous on at about 5k...i could feel the boost and once i switched to 2nd gear nothing but pull...smoking se-r's and gs-r's left and right...;)

and this was with a torqueless civic...:)

·
Registered
171 Posts
Yeah the rev limiter is the only thing to be afraid of. The ZEX kit is safe and fun and easy. I'm def looking into it... and at the right price I'll do it. I'll just use 55 for now, but def looking forward to it. It'll kick off when you let off the gas, it's got a smart trigger in it or its purchaseable anyways.. where u hit the switch and it flows the second u're on the gas and lets off when u're done...

1 - 20 of 43 Posts